Fife Private Rental Solutions


Landlords can benefit from FPRS's tailored service, offering expert advice on legislation changes, resolution of tenancy matters, tenant finder service and property management service among other things.

Landlord requirements

Prior to renting a property, landlords must fulfill various obligations, including compliance with registration, with regulations concerning property standard and condition, and having the right paperwork to allow you to rent your property.

Our team is ready to assist throughout the process, aid in acquiring necessary certificates, and offer insights on renting your property. Simply fill out our online inquiry form, and we'll promptly get in touch.

Stay tuned for our upcoming landlord e-bulletins.

Rent and benefit information

Ensuring a tenant's financial stability is paramount for property sustainability. Our knowledgeable team offers guidance on maximising benefits and accessing additional entitlements. We assist tenants in navigating rent payment methods, whether through Local Authority Housing Benefit or DWP's Universal Credit. Benefit amounts vary based on household composition and financial circumstances. In certain cases, benefits can be disbursed directly to landlords or letting agents. Trial calculations are available to assist with entitlements.

For detailed advice and information, reach out to the FPRS team. We're here to support tenants every step of the way.

Learn More

Tenancy Share

Tenancy Share is a housing option which was developed by FPRS to assist in securing shared accommodation within the private rented sector for single clients under the age of 35, who are affected by Welfare Reform and the Single Room Occupancy Rate. FPRS work alongside tenants and landlords by fulfilling this need.

Our team are on hand to discuss the Tenancy Share option further so if you have any questions or think you have a property that may suit sharers, please get in contact.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Upon receipt of your tenant's deposit, it's imperative to lodge it with a tenancy deposit scheme within 30 working days of the tenancy's commencement. Scotland offers three scheme providers:

There are three tenancy deposit scheme providers to choose from in Scotland:

- Letting Protection Service Scotland
- Safe Deposits Scotland, and
- my|deposits Scotland

Visit the Scottish Government website for detailed instructions.

Reach out to us for further clarification or assistance with the process or schemes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Unfortunately, FPRS does not pay rent in advance, however we can offer advice to tenants on alternative funding sources where required.

The owner of a property manages the day-to-day rental of the property as the landlord, if this management is handed over to a third party, they must be registered as a Letting Agent, even if they are not a letting agent in the traditional sense i.e., anyone involved in the business of the property. Further information can be found at Scottish Letting Agent Registration Even if you are using an Agent, you as owner still have responsibilities regarding the renting of the property.

FPRS are happy to discuss their management service. As the only not for profit ethic letting agency in Fife, you may be surprised at our competitive rates.

The Scottish Government provide information regarding a landlord’s responsibilities, these are kept updated on the following site: Being a landlord in Scotland

There are also landlord associations that will keep their members updated with information and legislation, there is normally a charge for this service by the Associations, however they are a good source of information.

FPRS offer a free quarterly landlord E-Bulletin, available to all landlords we work with or any interested party who wish to keep up to date. Should you wish to be added to the email list for a copy, please contact the FPRS team.

You personally, and each of your properties, must be registered with the local authority. If you need further information, or wish to register, the web address is:

All landlords are required to provide:
• A current Gas Safety certificate (if there is gas in the property).
• An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
• Linked Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors relevant to the layout of the property.
• An inventory, or condition report, is a must to protect your property.

Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR checks. The EICR report must include an appliance check report, a Portable Appliance Test or PAT. PAT checks are required on appliances provided by the landlord, but not those belonging to the tenant.

Prior to the commencement of a tenancy, it is a landlord’s duty to ensure the property is in an appropriate condition. This will include the appropriate safety checks, safety detection equipment safety checks and a legionella risk assessment, it is in your best interest to be well informed to safeguard from any future problems.

There is also prescribed documents to lease the property. The tenancy agreement is called a Private Residential Tenancy Agreement or PRT.
Our knowledgeable staff are on hand to assist or why not consider or let only service.

Requesting a tenant to leave a property is linked to the type of tenancy that they have been issued and the reason that you are asking them to leave the property.

If a tenant refuses to move at the end of a notice period, an eviction notice would have to be granted by the First Tier Tribunal service.